|Complete Gas System Management
Natural Gas Safety...
Georgia One-Call is the LAW!....
Dollar for dollar, natural gas provides more heating value than heating oil,
propane, or electricity. Natural gas is safe, reliable and efficient. Today
nearly three out of five U.S. homes are heated with natural gas.
Domestically produced natural gas is transported to 160 million
customers across 1.6 million miles of pipeline. Your City, in accordance
with Federal Regulations, is required to periodically communicate with its
customers, constituents, government leaders and public safety personnel
about our system’s purpose, reliability, associated hazards, and damage
prevention, as well as emergency preparedness measures.
Main gas lines branch into household services lines. The pipes are
typically made of “caution yellow” plastic or tar-coated steel which helps
prevent corrosion. Main lines are typically 2-inches in diameter and 2-
feet below the surface, while services lines are half-inch to three-quarter-
inch in diameter and 12- to 18-inches below the surface.
Your City welcomes the opportunity to further discuss their efforts to
keep all citizens apprised of our safety measures and response plans, and
they appreciate your support in helping them provide the highest level of
service to your community.
Your City wants all customers, residents and contractors to know about
the importance of complying with the National “Call Before You Dig”
Law. Citizens or contractors planning on excavating or moving earth,
must call the Georgia One-Call Center at 1-800-282-7411 at least two
days prior to excavation. Failing to make this call can result in civil or
criminal fines, as well as damage reparation.
BE SAFE – CALL FIRST!
Did You Know?.....
Smells Like Rotten Eggs....
Natural gas is a colorless, odorless gas, therefore a chemical that smells
like rotten eggs is added to help detect a possible leak. If the smell is
present, leave the area immediately, and call your City Emergency
number from a neighboring home or business. DO NOT turn on or off
any switches in the home or use a flashlight or phone in the presence of
gas, as this can create an electric spark that could ignite the gas and
cause an explosion. Natural gas is much lighter than air and will dissipate
rapidly in the outside environment, but tends to pocket inside buildings,
particularly attics and dead air spaces. Natural gas itself is nontoxic but
can cause asphyxiation if breathed in a confined space.